NSW surpasses 500 COVID-19 deaths since start of Delta outbreak in June



NSW has surpassed 500 deaths from the Delta outbreak which took hold in Sydney four months ago before spreading across most of the state.Key points:The latest NSW health data shows that only 10 per cent of people who died were fully vaccinatedThe age group with the highest deaths are those between 80 and 89The Premier says he is still expecting cases and deaths to surge due to relaxed restrictionsIn the 24 hours to 8pm yesterday four more people died, bringing the death toll since June to 502 people.There were also 294 locally acquired cases required in the same reporting period out of 59,612 tests.Most people who died from the Delta strain had not received one dose of a vaccine.The latest NSW Health data, which covers June 16 to October 2, showed 75.5 per cent of the people who died were not vaccinated.LIVE UPDATES: Read our blog for the latest news on the COVID-19 pandemicOnly 10.8 per cent of people who died were fully vaccinated.The majority of deaths have been in people aged between 80 to 89, according to the same data.What you need to know about coronavirus:NSW’s high vaccination rate has seen cases and deaths fall over recent weeks despite many rules being eased at the beginning of October.But Premier Dominic Perrottet said this did not mean NSW was immune to what has happened in other countries across the world when restrictions were lifted.Cases and deaths in the UK and US have been steadily increasing since restrictions were eased earlier this year.The UK is now recording close to 50,000 cases a day and 135 people died from COVID-19 yesterday.However, the vaccination rates in these countries are considerably lower compared to NSW with 67.7 per cent of people fully vaccinated in the UK and only 57.8 per cent in the US.”Our success here has been our vaccination rate … but this pandemic isn’t over,” Mr Perrottet said.”To say there are not challenges ahead would be wrong. There are going to be difficulties, we are seeing that around the world and we will be no different here.”As we open case numbers will increase and hospitalisations will increase but I’m very confident based on the investments we have made in our health system over time, that we are ready.”Ninety-three per cent of the NSW population who are 16 and over have had their first dose and 84.8 per cent have had both.There are 474 people in hospital with COVID-19 and 116 in intensive care.Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.WatchDuration: 8 minutes 10 seconds8m Do we really need booster vaccines for COVID-19?Loading form…



Source link

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: