Girl and mother with COVID-19 transferred to Adelaide hospital from Broken Hill



A girl sick with COVID-19 has been flown to Adelaide for treatment, accompanied by her mother, who also has the virus.Key points:A 13-year-old girl and her mother have been transferred to AdelaideThe girl is being treated for a non-COVID related illnessThere are 10 active coronavirus cases in South AustraliaNSW Far West Local Health District chief executive Umit Agis said the girl was “the patient of concern”.”Mum was also positive, but Mum went along to really accompany the minor,” Mr Agis said.”She’s gone as a caregiver. The child is 13 and … certainly requires a carer to be present. That’s the reason they’re both going.”He said the girl, who is being treated at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital, was transferred to Adelaide as a precaution.”At this stage, we are sending people earlier rather than later and that’s really part of our model at the moment — to not really wait until there’s a massive deterioration in the condition,” he said.SA Health later released a statement saying the child was being treated for a non-COVID related illness. Both cases are included in New South Wales’ statistics and are not classified as active cases in South Australia. NSW Far West Local Health District chief executive Umit Agis.(ABC News: Bension Siebert)Nine new exposure sites were recorded for Broken Hill yesterday, with times stretching back as far as September 2.One new case of COVID-19 was reported in Broken Hill today, along with four from Wilcannia.Another woman with COVID-19 from Broken Hill, who was being treated at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, returned to NSW on Thursday and is no longer being treated as an active case.LIVE UPDATES: Read our blog for the latest news on the COVID-19 pandemicThere has been one new case of COVID-19 reported in the state today — a man in his 30s who acquired his infection overseas and has been in a medi-hotel since his arrival. There are 10 active COVID-19 cases in South Australia. All but one of them were acquired overseas.The only case exposed to the community was a miner who arrived from Sydney on Friday.No cases associated with miner or truck driversSouth Australian Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Emily Kirkpatrick this morning said no positive cases had been associated with the man, or the six truck drivers from NSW and Victoria who have tested positive for coronavirus after travelling through South Australia since mid-August. The girl is being treated at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital. (ABC News)More than 7,000 people are trying to enter South Australia from Victoria, the ACT and NSW, including from Broken Hill, which was previously part of a border bubble.Many have suffered long waits with an online application portal being used since last month.Despite the large volume of applications, Dr Kirkpatrick says every exemption still needed to be looked at on a case-by-case basis.”It comes back again to the risk and what we are seeing is a substantial risk with the Delta variant in NSW and of course now in Victoria,” she said.”And I stepped through and looked at those applications yesterday to see what the breakdown was of those — a large proportion of the applications are coming from Victoria.” Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Emily Kirkpatrick.(ABC News: Michael Clements)Plan to open borders once vaccination level higher A walk-in vaccination clinic opened at the Myer Centre in Adelaide’s Rundle Mall today. It is open to everyone aged 16 or over.Police Commissioner Grant Stevens today confirmed plans were being developed with the COVID-19 Transition Committee for South Australia’s base level of restrictions once an 80 per cent vaccination rate was reached.SA Health says the state’s current vaccination rate is about 40 per cent. The new COVID-19 vaccination clinic is on the third floor of the Myer Centre.(ABC Radio Adelaide: Spence Denny)Mr Stevens says the state has to be prepared for what will happen when borders are relaxed once the vaccination target is achieved “which means people will come into South Australia”.”We need to make sure that we’ve got the ability to trace anyone who comes into the state with the virus so we can properly manage the wellbeing of South Australians,” he said.”We will be dealing with COVID-19 in South Australia. It’s about making sure that our health system is ready to deal with that when it comes in.”The committee met this morning and while there was talk of making changes to restrictions on weddings, Mr Stevens said members opted not to relax controls due to the continued risk from interstate.Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.WatchDuration: 29 minutes 27 seconds29m Outbreak: How Australia lost control of the Delta variantWhat you need to know about coronavirus:Loading form…



Source link

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: